22.11.11

Soft tones

I'm thinking of taking a little painting break during the holidays but had to work on this first. It's a painting in soft, muted tones - very low chroma - some of those who attended my art guild drawing demo might recognize the setup.

The idea here was that I wanted to experiment with all of this white just to focus on the light coming through the almond extract and the corresponding orange on the bag tie. This setup (created later) was one of those ideas that developed out of something I saw in the kitchen when the light coming through the window hit a bottle of extract on the table. Interestingly, as I was putting the composition together, I started reading the directions on the bag of wheat about growing sprouts ... now I can't wait to grow some of those seeds into sprouts for another one of my paintings about the stages of life.


11x14
oil on canvas
Almond extract and wheat seed.

Enjoy!