17.1.11

Ready to Buy, Sell, Swap Artwork at ART JAM 2011

I've been super busy working with the volunteers who are making Art Jam 2011 happen this year. With so many exciting activities, I still love to buy/sell/swap artwork with friends.

This year, I'm bringing something a little different. Although most of my oil paintings are at galleries, I do have some drawings from my sketch books, watercolor studies, a couple of artist trading cards and other small works on paper that I can bring.

In hopes of inspiring you to go through you own sketch books and studios to find fun little items, I'm posting a photo of my swapping book and some images of the little works inside.

Remember ... the buy/sell/swap spirit is not limited to artwork, you can trade and commission services and other useful things. For example, I often trade 3 evenings of open studio model time for a 6"x6" oil sketch painting of the sitter (or an 8x10 portrait drawing). I've traded everything from private lessons to oil paintings and artist vacation accommodations.

Have an easel, drawing board or maybe a materials box you never use? Do you feel like it's not in "sales" condition but would be valuable to another artist? Bring it! Maybe you can swap that old easel for a friend's nice painting. Maybe you'll trade that well loved drawing board for a discount to get into someone's oil painting class. Just tape a sign on it saying it's available for buy/sell/swap.

Pair of Pears
watercolor by Tricia Ratliff
My sell/swap book
ready for Art Jam
View of DC from park by national gallery by Tricia Ratliff

Pinup girls from Dr. Sketchy's event at the Soundry
by Tricia Ratliff (2.5"x3.5" and 3" x 5")

 
Fall Leaves
watercolor by Tricia Ratliff
view from a dormer in our playroom
by Tricia Ratliff